Friday, April 22, 2011

What I Watched -- Source Code

T took me to see Source Code last Thursday.  It was either that or The Lincoln Lawyer, which I'm sure he would have rather seen, and frankly probably would have been a better movie.  But I'm feeling kind of over Matthew McConaughey's greasy hair for a while, and would rather watch Jake try to save the world (or even just the city of Chicago).

It's an Inception-type story, in which Army Captain Colter Stevens (Jake) can repeatedly re-live the last eight minutes of someone's life thanks to a nifty computer program called the Source Code.  The guy whose life he's re-living in the movie was on a Metra train headed to Chicago when it was blown up by a terrorist.  Capt. Stevens's job is to find the bomber and stop him.  He only has those eight minutes in which to do it; he can re-live those eight minutes multiple times while retaining information learned in previous attempts, but the code does start to break down, so he can't do it indefinitely.  And of course, there's the love interest, played by the lovely Michelle Monaghan.

I was amused because the very next day I was flipping through a magazine (GlamourInStyle?  I can't remember, but Jake is definitely in style.  And maybe even a little bit glamorous.) and there was something about Jake!  I tore it out because I wanted to add it to this post, but now I can't find it.  I'm sure it's buried somewhere in the pile of stuff I dumped out of my suitcase when I got home on Sunday night, but so far, no dice.  But since T is concerned that I haven't posted about the movie yet, I'm going ahead without it.

Bottom line: not great film-making, but I didn't really expect that.  I expected to see a cute boy save a cute girl and I expected to see a train explode; the film delivered (several times).  In the process, you get a little lesson about love and mortality, too.  Decent work, Jake.

No comments:

Post a Comment