Thursday, May 3, 2012

52 Weeks of Dresses -- Week 32

Otherwise titled: Symphony Day!

Due to some unfortunate events involving a sick dog early on Sunday morning, the opportunity arose for me to attend the Sunday afternoon symphony with Grandpa.  It was splendid.


The musicians performed three pieces, and I liked each one better than the last.  We started with Rimsky-Korsakov's piece Skazka (Fairy Tale), Opus 29 (snippets available here), then moved to Shostakovich's Symphony No. 1 in F minor, Opus 10 (first movement of four available here).  After the intermission, we came back to Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto in C minor, op. 18 (here).  Stephen Hough was on piano, and Grandpa and I discussed during intermission whether he would live up to his reputation.  He did.

Everyone else agreed; he got so much applause that he came out and played a solo encore for us: Chopin's Nocturne in E flat (here).  Beautiful.

P.S. Sorry about the not-very-illustrative picture.  Normally that dress looks like this:
And I look like her.  Or I would if I were wearing a hat :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment