Monday, May 21, 2012

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest -- Take 2

I finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest a few days ago, and it was definitely different from the first two.  Not really worse or better.

This one was more legal drama than the previous books, although there still was a healthy (or unhealthy) dose of sneaking around, spying, and hacking computers.

Our final installment brings to a close the investigation into the complicated history of The Girl, Lisbeth Salander.  The sweeping, conspiracy theorist's dream involves secret police, international spies, corrupt bureaucrats, pedophiles, and even more secret police.  The pacing is good; it builds to a crescendo, but ends with a predictably unsatisfying but mandatory denouement.

I enjoyed listening to this on audio because I didn't have to stumble over the complicated Swedish names, although I think the fact that I didn't have to sound them out a few times before I got rolling also made it easier to get the characters mixed up in my head.

As with the others, it's compelling reading but mediocre writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment