Saturday, May 5, 2012

Clapton: the Autobiography -- Take 2

I finished listening to this a couple days ago, and it was great! 

There was so much I didn't know about Eric Clapton, and I very much enjoyed learning it.  I did know he had long career, trouble with addiction (but what rock star doesn't?), and that his son died a tragic death.  It was really interesting to hear hear all of it in own words, if not own voice.  (The audio is read by Bill Nighy.)

There's a lot about his time in his earlier bands: The Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, and Derek and the Dominos, and his relationships with his fellow band members and other musicians.  Much of the book is devoted to his obsessive love of Pattie Boyd (George Harrison's wife at the time Eric met her), their eventual marriage, and divorce.

While Clapton is probably the best guitarist alive, and among the best of all time, I didn't actually expect to be as intrigued by his story as I was.  It was a wonderful surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment