Friday, June 28, 2013

The Kiss

I saw my final opera of the year, The Kiss, on Wednesday.  It was probably my least favorite of the year, which is not to say I didn't enjoy it.

It had particularly jolly music, and I especially appreciated the arrangement of the choral music. There was a lot of rounding, which is a fabulous musical technique, and often when it's used, it's not done well.  This was done well.  Different voice parts were singing varied but complementary lyrics, and it was simply lovely.


Unfortunately, the libretto left a little something to be desired -- like, for example, a plot.  I could've slept through half the show and not missed a bit of the story.  It goes like this: couple meets, boy wants girl to kiss him, girl won't kiss him until they're married, and then she caves and kisses him anyway.  Two and a half hours later.

As I said, the music was great, but it maybe should've been a one-act show.

No comments:

Post a Comment