Monday, June 3, 2013

What I Watched -- American Psycho

I watched American Psycho by accident.  I was over at a friend's house having a few beers, we flipped on the TV, and there it was, right at the very beginning.  I didn't really know what I was getting into, but it had Christian Bale in it - even a creepy version of him - so I was down.

Bale plays Patrick Bateman, a slick-suited Wall Streeter who doesn't actually appear to work for a living.  Instead, he just expresses his masculine insecurities in juvenile pissing contests with his similarly pin-striped colleagues, comparing business cards while all sporting their matching, gelled-back hairstyles.

By night, Patrick Bateman becomes a menacing, chainsaw-wielding killer, in a disturbingly and darkly comic way.  It's not funny in the strictest sense, but it's not a horror movie either.  It's stuck somewhere in between, the same way Patrick is stuck between his many personalities.

Bottom line: mostly just weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment