Thursday, August 18, 2011

Catching Fire -- Take 2

As with most of my posts for the last month or so, this one is way overdue.  I actually finished this when I was in Seattle - I sat in a chair in Elliott Bay Books and finished the last two chapters!

Catching Fire continues the saga of Katniss Everdeen, our hero from The Hunger Games.  And, while a hero she may be, the mantle doesn't fit well on her shoulders.  She's awkward and angry and frustrated by the whole experience, with good reason.

In this installment, Katniss begins to understand the impact her actions during the Hunger Games have had on the people of Panem; everything is hush-hush, but she pieces together clues to figure out which districts are starting to rebel against the Capitol.  Without realizing what she was doing, Katniss made herself the symbol of the rebellion.

I didn't like Catching Fire quite as much as The Hunger Games.  It seemed a bit slower and more formulaic.  But I'm hoping that things will pick up again!

No comments:

Post a Comment