Saturday, August 20, 2011

Our new customers

It's possible that I've commented on and/or complained about my work in retail before (here, here, here, and here).  But I have to say this: due to changes in the market, we've been taking on a whole slew of new customers lately, and they are a new caliber of bad.  The store is always a mess, they come in, sit in the cafe, leave huge piles of books and magazines behind them, and rarely buy anything.  (Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule.)

On the plus side, I suppose the fact that they're making a mess of our store means job security for me, as long as at least a few of them buy a book here and there.  But the problem now is that I'm not really sure I want to work there any more!  I love being around books and lots of my co-workers, but I'm a bookseller, not a babysitter.

6 comments:

  1. Nothing like a good existential crisis. I should know. I have them every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can always count on you for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, don't you always want to yell, "this isn't a library, people! It's a bookstore, where you are supposed to purchase the books you want to read!" I wanted to do that all the time when I worked there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I'm there, it's like clockwork. I want to say that every hour on the hour, thank you very much. And occasionally on the half hour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm glad my reference didn't go unappreciated.

    ReplyDelete