Monday, August 15, 2011

Seattle, Days 4 and 5

Last night after our sticky rice and mango, I inquired of the others what our plans were for the morning.  Working backwards from the time that we needed to leave the hotel for the day would allow me to determine what time to get up and go for yet another run.  Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I fell asleep while they were trying to decide what time to get up, so I skipped the running and just slept in a bit.

E had gotten a breakfast recommendation for a place called Toulouse Petit, which just happened to be across the street from our hotel, and boy was that a good idea!  Happy hour for breakfast!  E and I each had a Katie-Mae, which was a positively delightful a.m. concoction made from Fris vodka, St. Germain, grapefruit juice, and prosecco.  Another?  Yes, please!  (Actually, not really.  But it sounds awfully good right now.)


We all four shared a plate of beignets, which were not as good as mom's, but a solid effort.  I think their oil was a little too hot.  For my main meal, I had a classic egg breakfast, but instead of potatoes (which were darn tasty; I had some of E's) and toast, I had a plate-sized pancake.



After breakfast we needed a little break to laze at hotel, then walked down to the Olympic Sculpture Park, which was very near our hotel.  From there, we caught the bus to Chinatown and the International District.  There were plenty of restaurants and the most enormous Chinese/international market/food court I had ever seen, but because we had just eaten such a scrumptious breakfast, nobody was hungry for lunch.




 

The train left the dock and rolled through town while we were waiting for our bus.


Our back-up plan was to meander over to Pioneer Square, but along the way, we were sidetracked by the Last Resort Fire Department's collection of old fire engines.


Check out the license plate: "horseless carriage." I love it!


The Blue Angels were all over the sky that week, sometimes singly, sometimes in packs.

Someone on the sidewalk pointed us toward the art/craft fair at Pioneer Square, where E got a lovely gold bracelet, and there were lots of other goodies.  I even got a few ideas in case I'm every feeling particularly crafty and adventurous!

K was amused by the "Honey Bucket" port-a-potty!

I managed to squeeze in a short run when we got back tot he hotel, and snacked on last night's cupcakes before another hour or two spent at Caffe Ladro doing some reading and enjoying their refreshing iced tea.

We had just enough time before dinner to take a spin around the Space Needle, and - touristy though it may be - the views were amazing!

Mount Rainier in the background.

People doing yoga in the park at Seattle Center!


Between the railroad tracks and where that ship is docked is my running path.

Sailboats and cargo ships.

Dinner this night was our big outing.  We met up with our cousin S and her husband L at the Dahlia Lounge, another recommendation from E's friend, and one of the many restaurants run by famous Seattle chef Tom Douglas. Between the six of us, I can conservatively say we ate enough food for half again that many people.  Conservatively.  It was great! For my part, I shared L's appetizer of potstickers, as well as had my own of beef brisket.  The entree portion of my gluttonous fabulousness was a pork chop with lots of garlic, and dessert was a cherry almond tart.  Oh, and fresh-made doughnuts.  Lots and lots and lots of food.  It was shameful, but not so bad I can't write about it! And delicious!

Dinner was late (8:30), so by the time we left the restaurant at 11, it was straight back to the hotel for bed.

And I wish I had more to say about day 5, but it went like this: run down to the fishing pier (it was overcast and "spitting" [as L says] for the first couple minutes of my run, but then stopped); eat breakfast at the hotel; shower; pack; ride to the airport.  Not too interesting.

1 comment:

  1. you forgot to mention that it took as long as humanly possible for one person to get through security at the airport! Gosh, I thought we might have to head east without you - and though we had your camera, we could certainly never duplicate your great blog entries! and what about Space Bear! He didn't get mentioned!!!!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete