Thursday, August 4, 2011

Journey!

I have been going to a crazy number of concerts lately, and while they weren't all one right after another they are ending up that way on the blog just because I've been so busy!

T's and my attendance at the Journey concert was originally intended to be an easy, relaxing evening after a couple of tough days.  And it actually ended up being that, though for different reasons than originally planned.  For starters, I was the one who had had the tough days, although I probably didn't make them very easy on T either.  And second, the original plan had been to get there at a reasonable time, camp out on a blanket, and just listen.

But I was having a little trouble (okay, a lot of trouble) dragging myself out of bed, so we got there late, the place was packed, and we ended up standing the whole time, leaning against the fence all the way at the back of the amphitheater.  But that was okay too, because there was a nice breeze up there!

T says it was so crowded not because they sold more tickets to this concert than they usually do, but because all the fans just take up a lot more space than the teenagers and twenty-somethings who are at most of the concerts I go to!


The sad news is that, due to my troubles, we missed all of Night Ranger.  We caught maybe 5 or 6 Foreigner songs, of which I think I knew two: "Hot Blooded" and "Feels Like the First Time."  Then came Journey, and all the forty-somethings went crazy!

Luckily, we had stopped for snow cones on the way in, which (along with the breeze) helped keep us cool while we were watching the show.

Journey has been through several frontmen since Steve Perry departed a dozen years ago.  The current iteration of the band includes Filipino-born singer Arnel Pidena, and honestly, he's pretty darn good!  He wasn't quite Steve, but he was close enough for a bunch of drunk concert-goers for sure.

Journey played a short set, and the second half was really the better half; the set list (for all three bands) is available here.  And even though there were a number of songs I didn't know, it actually worked out well, since what I was going for was an easy night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment