Monday, October 3, 2011

52 Weeks of Dresses -- Week 23

Otherwise titled: Dierdorf & Hart's

Another dinner, another dress!  I have to confess that I'm a little bit scared of (or perhaps confused by) Westport Plaza.  It seems like it should be super cute; it has this German village sort of look.  But it's just not working for me.  It's not at all clear what it's supposed to be.  There are restaurants and coffee shops.  There are hotels.  These things should be good, but they made it as difficult to get to as possible, with these winding roads that go all over the freakin' place.  You'd think by the time you'd turned left five times you just would have gone around the block, and then some, right?  Nope.  It just means you're almost there.

Okay, I'm exaggerating a little bit.  But only a little.  It really is confusing.  Lots of people seem to manage it just fine, but for me it's like making rice.  I always manage to screw it up.

However, with T giving me turn-by-turn directions from the passenger's seat, I found my way to Dierdorf & Hart's for dinner last week.  D&H is, apparently, a St. Louis institution.  I (sometimes regrettably) consider myself a St. Louisan, but I had never been there.

What I picked up on in various conversations is that D&H had a downtown location for a long time - probably why it was considered an institution.  But a few years ago, that one closed, and this one in Westport opened.  I wonder how it compares to the original...?

About our dinner.  We ordered a lot, but did a pretty good job picking smaller things and/or taking home leftovers.  I started with the lamb lollipops, which were good, but I'm pretty sure the only reason they call them lollipops is for the entertainment value.  They have a bone sticking out, but all lamb chops do.  That does not a lollipop make.  Dinner was the dry-aged strip steak, which actually became three meals!  I ate about a third of it at dinner (with a side of the gouda scalloped potatoes, which were awesome), I took a third home, and T took the rest as a salad topper.  Continuing my love of all things dairy, I ended the meal with German chocolate ice cream, one of their seasonal flavors.  I asked for "a scoop."  What I got was more like a Rigazzi's fishbowl, though that didn't deter me a bit.  I didn't eat all of it, but I managed most.

T ordered the crab cakes, which he was very kind to share with me, the sirloin filet, and a trio of mini cheesecakes: chocolate, raspberry, and lime.  I liked the chocolate.  Are you surprised?


I will spare you another rambling lament of the casual diner.  Suffice it to say, though there were a number.  It didn't take away from the flavor of the food, but it does leave a little something to be desired vis a vis the ambiance.  But still, good steak.

1 comment: