Friday, October 14, 2011

The Song I'm Loving Today

Wonderful Tonight (Eric Clapton)

I had to make a run to the store today for some supplies for our office.  On the way home, following on the tail of Don McLean's classic American Pie was Mr. Clapton's Wonderful Tonight.  The link above is to the studio version.  There are a number of live versions available online (here, here, and here, among others).  My personal favorite is below, from a 1999 concert at Madison Square Garden.  (A couple things: I could do without all the oooh-oooh-ooohs at the end, so you can skip those; you'll have to watch on youtube because Warner Bros. won't let me embed the video.)

Clapton is a fantastic guitarist.  Wonderful Tonight, great love ballad though it is, does not really show off his best work. For some classic work, you might check out Layla (from the same NYC concert), I Shot the Sheriff, or Further On Up the Road.

But still, Wonderful Tonight is a lovely song, and I've been listening to it all day.  So here it is:



It's late in the evening, she's wondering what clothes to wear,
She'll put on her makeup, and brushes her long blond hair,
And then she'll ask me, "Do I look all right?"
And I'll say, "Yes, you look wonderful tonight."

We'll go to a party and everyone turns to see
This beautiful lady who's walking around with me.
And then she'll ask me, "Do you feel all right?"
And I'll say, "Yes, I feel wonderful tonight."

And I feel wonderful because I see the love light in your eyes,
And the wonder of it all is that you just don't realize
How much I love you.

It's time to go home now, I've got an aching head,
So I'll give her the car keys, she'll help me to bed,
And then I'll tell her, as I turn out the light,
I say, "My darling, you were wonderful tonight.
Oh my darling, you were wonderful tonight."

1 comment: