Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What I'm Reading Now -- The Unthinkable

Somehow I ended up with The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes - And Why on my iPod.  I don't know where it came from, but it actually sounds kind of interesting, so I've started listening to it.  I'm into it only sporadically, usually when I run out of regular daily podcasts, so it may take me a while.

So far, I've learned about various responses to 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, and other major disasters, as well as (depressingly) more common situations, such as police shootings, hostage-taking, and the like.

It's actually very interesting stuff.  The analysis of people's responses to different situations is a mix of cognitive science, psychology, and history.  Just the kind of "science" I like!

No comments:

Post a Comment