Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What I'm Reading Now -- The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Enough with the teen books already!  But really, I just want to be reading.  And if this junk is all I have the energy to get into, then so be it.  I'd rather read this than nothing at all.  (Although to hear T tell it, I have a stack of stuff to read next to my bed which is taller than I am.)

Anyway, I at least have to give Stephanie Meyer credit here for ripping off a good idea.  I'm not sure where the idea of rewriting a book from the bad guy's point of view came from, but it was done to great effect with Beowulf.

I first read Beowulf in English class my junior year in high school, and instantly fell in love with it.  (This is a better translation, but it wasn't the one we read in class.)  My teacher knew I loved it and, good teacher that she was, encouraged me to read more.  She gave me a copy of Grendel by John Gardner.  It's the same story retold from the lonely monster's point of view.  Good stuff.

So, here Stephanie Meyer does the same thing.  She takes one little part of her series and spins the story out from someone else's perspective.  Pretty much anyone would be a more interesting protagonist than Bella Swan, so it'd be hard to go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment