Monday, October 10, 2011

Pride of Baghdad -- Take 2

I finished reading Pride of Baghdad on Saturday night.  Unfortunately my environment wasn't terribly conducive to reading (dark and noisy), but I was going to finish at least one book this weekend if it killed me.

I picked up with our pride wandering the bombed-out streets of Baghdad, and that is most of the remainder of the story.  There are power struggles, accusations of a lack of loyalty, anger, exhaustion, martyrs, and discussions about freedom.

In books where politics is only tangential, I try to look past it for no other reason than that politics is a dirty game and I hate it.  But it's pretty central to Pride.  That theme of freedom that runs through the book is the crux of it: What is freedom?  What does it mean to be free?  If you've never known anything but captivity, how can you understand what it means to be free?  What price are you willing to pay?

This is a short book; it'll probably take you 45 minutes to read it.  When you do, you can formulate your own answers to those questions, but (as much as I hate to admit it), they're interesting to think about.

1 comment:

  1. I read this and loved it! I can't wait to check out Marbles.

    ReplyDelete