Tuesday, January 14, 2014

What I Watched -- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

T and I, against critical advice, went to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug last week.  It was nice to see it so quickly on the heels of the first one, even though the original plan to see Desolation in Durango fell through.

If what you liked about The Lord of the Rings was the fighting, you'll like this one much better than The Hobbit.  The fighting was better, and much more Middle Earth-like fighting.  The bummer about some of it is that it's so obvious that it's CGI-enhanced.

Evangeline Lilly, whom I've liked since Lost, is lovely as the wood-elf Tauriel, the lust object of Legolas, who makes his reappearance.  I admit, it wasn't until the credits that I figured out who she was, but I puzzled over it the from her first appearance on screen.

The trouble with these movies is that, aside from Bilbo, I'm not particularly invested in any of them.  Even Thorin, and this whole thing is his quest to get his kingdom back. And Bilbo is essentially the same character as Frodo is in the LOTR trilogy, a hapless dope at the outset who seems to come into his own as a "nasty, tricksey little hobbitses" as the movie rolls on.

Bottom line: it's okay. I hope the third one is better.  All three could probably have been improved if there had only been two.

No comments:

Post a Comment