Saturday, January 11, 2014

What I Watched -- Parade's End

I heard Parade's End - a British WWI era television series based on the Ford Madox Ford tetralogy of the same name - was the new Downton Abbey.  Of course, I had to watch it.  (I like the word tetralogy.  I stole it from the Wikipedia article, and now it will be mine.)

It's quite a bit less soap opera-y than Downton, but also less fun.  However, I very much enjoy how much the characters despise each other, and they do it in such a proper British way too!  Plus, it's just fun to say the name Benedict Cumberbatch.  Can that even be a real name?  (Turns out, yes.  The real thing is even better and more fabulously English: Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch.)

I never really gave this show my full attention, and that might at least partly explain why I didn't get drawn into the story.  But I have to say, I like Downton better.

1 comment: