Saturday, July 14, 2012

North Carolina, Day 3

Another day of sleeping in, followed by lazing around reading until E and I went to yoga - a hot vinyasa class this time, and I sweated like crazy, which is to be expected when the room is 100+ degrees!

We then drove to Southern Pines where I over-consumed calories at our lunchtime breakfast at Betsy's Crepes. I had the Popeye breakfast crepe: spinach, bacon, mushrooms, and some other goodies in a buckwheat crepe.  In lieu of also getting dessert crepes (some of which looked delicious and some of which looked, um, fascinating - cheddar and chocolate chips?), we crossed the tracks to Cup of Flow, a coffee shop with more flavored syrups than I have ever seen in my life.  I had possibly the most delicious frappucino ever in the history of ever!  Delicious iced coffee blended with white chocolate and vanilla syrups - what they call the Moonlight.  Yes, please!

We burned off all of those calories by driving back to Pinehurst and sitting around for a while, doing some more reading of wacky news stories, chatting, making sun-dried tomato dip, etc., then decided the only appropriate thing to do was replenish our calorie deficit by walking into town to get some ice cream.

 E in jail, also known as the old-fashioned elevator in the big house.  Which still works!

E again, this time in front of the super-cute pink door to her apartment!

Our destination was the Red Door Cafe, where we found the aforementioned ice cream (I had s'mores and peach; it probably would've been s'mores and mocha chip, except that the guy working the counter said the peach ice cream was made fresh with local peaches - how could I say no?) and a water bowl for the dogs.

Gah! So quaint, it's like a 1950's TV show!

E gave us a brief walking tour of town.  Well, really it was about as extensive of a walking tour as there could be; it's just that the town itself is brief.  It's the sort of cute, small, charming Southern place where shops close at 4:00 on a Saturday, women sit around on rocking chairs on their screened-in porches drinking their cocktails, and men traverse the small town in a horse-drawn carriage.  Not kidding.  Surya was quite taken by this, his second encounter with a horse (the first was last week).  It's not quite clear that he knows what to make of this enormous dog-looking thing; at first the tail wagged, then he shied away a bit as the horse passed, but then he followed it down the street (even breaking into a run at one point, which is big news if you know Surya) until E told him he had to come back.

Since our big walk around town burned off not nearly all of our ice cream calories, it was time to burn off a few more by cooking dinner!  E had a recipe for tempeh tacos that she had been wanting to try.  I didn't know what tempeh was until tonight; in fact, I'm still not sure I know what it is.  Whatever it is, it must be awesome because it has its own website!  (According to the all-knowing wiki, it's fermented soybeans.)  As far as I could tell, the tempeh itself didn't have much flavor (so, similar to tofu), but we marinated it in a combo of soy sauce, peanut oil, lime juice, cumin, and chili powder, and then pan-fried it, so that helped.  The tacos were piled high with slices of tempeh, salad greens, cheese, tomatoes, avocado, black beans (if desired, which I didn't), and E's homemade cilantro-lime sauce.  I had two.

So, while our tempeh was marinating, E and I made a quick trip to the grocery store to pick up a few things, and this is what we saw on the way out:

And on the way home:
Me, taking a picture of myself.

The road ahead.

E, figuring out that I was taking her picture.

I guess we know why they call it Pinehurst.

We capped of our vegan taco surprise dinner by watching Forks Over Knives, which I'll report on later, if all the animal protein in my diet hasn't fried my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment