Wednesday, July 25, 2012

So . . . Chicago happened.

I went to Chicago!  It was a while ago (early July - same as last year, and the year before), but I was so busy with running around the city that I didn't have time to post.  Here are the highlights:

- I saw J&T, C&A!  Due to a minor e-mail miscommunication, we thought we were going to miss each other, so imagine my surprise when I opened the door of their house and there they were!  And imagine their surprise when someone was opening the door to their house!

- I took my bike, which was the best idea EVER.  The weather was warm but great, and I rode it all over the place.  Saturday I left my car at J&Ts and scooted around using some combination of bike, el, and my own two feet.  Sunday, I drove part of the way into the city so I would be able to jump on 55 in the evening, but just found a place I could park my car for the day and rode away.

- I had two tasty dinners!  Friday night I met up with M&M at Ombra in Andersonville.  It's Italian tapas, was good, and [highlight!] I had an oyster!  I haven't had oysters since I lived in Bethesda, and I didn't really like them the one and only time I tried them, so I had held off.  But M had one and said it wasn't too briny, which was my big issue with the first ones I had.  It came with a sauce that tasted like vinegar, onions, and lime juice, and it was actually not bad.

Saturday a bunch of the rowing peeps went to The Counter in Lincoln Park, a design-your-own-burger place. I basically used toppings I would normally put on a salad - baby spinach, craisins, herbed goat cheese, apricot glaze - all slathered on a 2/3-pound burger.  With onion straws and sweet potato fries.  Mmm mmm good.

- I got my Potbelly's!  I went on a Sunday bike ride with C and we stopped in for lunch - my usual: a wreck and an Oreo shake.

- I won a gold medal!  Against high schoolers, but whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment